Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Field Notebook

Before I start notes, here are some things to know about me and my postings:

1. This is meant to be an exploratory record of my surroundings and experiences. I am new to the ecology and won’t pretend to be an expert. These are my beginner’s observations.

2. I am spending the next four weeks in northern Iowa taking a class in prairie ecology. We work in the field as well as in the lab. I hope that by becoming intimate with the area I will gain a greater appreciation of the much-neglected landscape of my Midwestern home.

3. My favorite color is green.

4. My class is intensive and time is limited (Also, it’s summer and I’m hanging out with a bunch of college students near a lake); my postings may be sporadic.

5. I believe that the arts, humanities, and sciences can and should collaborate. We can learn a lot from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment