Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Western Trek

There's been a large silence lately due to last week's travels into the mixed grass prairies of South Dakota and Nebraska. My class camped in the Badlands and in Wind Cave National Park, and while I didn't tote along my computer, I did bring a camera.



It rained every day of our trip, usually in the afternoons or evenings. On the first day, my tent mate and I had just gotten settled into our lodgings when the distant storm clouds started rolling our way. We watched from the class van as wind, rain, and hail pelted the nylon structure, bending to into a 45 degree angle with the ground. Afterwards, we were relieved to find that through our sleeping bags were a bit soggy, our tent and other belongings had survived. Our neighbors, however, were not so lucky.



When it wasn't raining, we enjoyed the South Dakota wildlife. Here I am in my field gear next to Wall Drug's giant jackalope. Though I saw many mounted specimens, I didn't find the strange creature in the prairies. Instead, squeaking prairie dogs populated these plains.

1 comment:

  1. OH wow!

    I've been there! Wall drug, to me as a child, was some sort of consumer heaven. Did they still have the T-rex head? I remember I forgot my belt at home that trip, and we bought a new one at wall drug. It was beaded and all designed in patterns, and I thought it looked awful, I was not happy, lol.

    And....that last picture....did you beat up some poor St Louis fan and take their hat???? Or are you just that cool to already have one ;)

    ReplyDelete